Please note that all screen shots displayed in this blog are works in progress and in no way represent the appearance of the final game. Check out the main site here.

Be sure to follow us everywhere with these links!



Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Bright Lights

So with a new day comes new problems. I'm sorting out the advanced lighting system within the engine. I say advanced since it needs to process real-time ambient occlusion and normal mapping while the game is running. Sure I could use baked-in lighting or light mapping but that'd just be cheating. Besides, I'm trying to create an immersive experience here!

So anyway, in the spirit of learning I found that dynamically scaling objects down in the 3D space, exponentially increases their perception of the scene's lighting. Basically, the smaller I make an object via scaling it, the more it seems to glow under its own power, and the larger I make it the duller and darker it seems to be. This is a bit of a problem with what I'm trying to achieve, so I've had to re-write a few bits of code and a few assets to make everything work with minimal scaling. It was a pain in the arse and it took me two hours, but it ends up making the engine run a heap better, so I can't complain too loudly... More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment