Please note that all screen shots displayed in this blog are works in progress and in no way represent the appearance of the final game. Check out the main site here.

Be sure to follow us everywhere with these links!



Thursday, March 31, 2011

As the Sun Sets...

Hi again everyone. I've been a busy little bee working on some pretty advanced lighting code. First cab off the rank were dynamic lens flares when the player was looking at the sun. They're still a little basic for now, but at least it's working in a sense. They look their best at sunset. Currently sunsets are SUPER dark, so I need to work on that a bit more, but this will give you a general idea of what they look like:


However, when the sun is up, it's looking quite good. My favourite time of the day in the game is around twilight. I have dynamic shadows that creep across the ground. It's actually making me want to go back to the dungeon code to put in some dynamic shadows to make it even more badass. I'll definitely have to re-visit that at some stage. Anyway, here's a shot of how it looks before sunset:


Still only temporary building models at the moment and absolutely no decoration or anything. Currently just focusing on getting the lighting right. I'm doing my best to make outdoor environments just as awe-inspiring as their underground counterparts.

In other areas, we have welcomed several voice actors on board. I myself will be doing some of the acting, but in addition we have Steven Kelly, Samuel Drake, Amber Lee Connors, Rebeka Thomas, Nyssa Norton, Jamie Buurveld, Carl and Tim Hansen, Scott Hornsey, Ben Irvine and Rachel Birchnoff (our lead artist!)

Here's a quick sample of what you can expect! (All samples are early at the moment)


video

So yes, as you can see, lots of progress. Rachel is up here with us in Brisbane and quite intent on pumping out a significant chunk of art while she's at it! So expect to see some awesome stuff here on the blog!

Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment