Please note that all screen shots displayed in this blog are works in progress and in no way represent the appearance of the final game. Check out the main site here.

Be sure to follow us everywhere with these links!



Sunday, June 19, 2011

Landscapes

So I also had a poke around with some early procedural landscape generation stuff. You know, for when you get out of the dungeons and walk around the countryside (don't forget that this game isn't just dungeons!)

My first experimentation was with fractals, which I'm not overly impressed with. Plus they've been done to death... I produced this:


Great for large-scale stuff, but when it comes to The Sword of Ahkranox, I'm going to need a little more than this... The next time I have a play with this I'm thinking of looking into Perlin Noise.

Most likely I'll create my own system like I did with the dungeon generation, which was based on generating seeds through a hyperbolic paraboloid (I was eating pringles while I wrote it). It seemed to work quite well, but countrysides will be a very different animal to the dungeon interiors...

Time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment